Wednesday, July 20, 2005

work hazards

I started my "quest," (yes it was a quest for me) last year for a career in marketing...and after a year of working in an advertising agency and an experiential marketing firm, I'm now at LBC's marketing department. Doing what I love to do. I really didn' t mind working my ass off coz I tend to forget that I too, need some rest.

Just recently, my boss called my attention. He was saying that I need to delegate some responsibilities (since we're coming up with a nationwide promo that i'm overlooking now). I was involved with even the tiniest detail.

I even had to get the DTI permit (yes, queueing and stuff) coz I was the point person for formulating the mechanics. He said that he doesn't want my time wasted doing it coz I had more important things to do. I actually asked for help from another department who are helping us for this promo. I asked one person there if he can accompany me sa DTI since they consulted there na before. But what did i get? He asked, "pano tayo pupunta dun?" My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe he asked me that. I mean we can take a cab, it's not even a concern that should be raised. Cutting the story short, i went alone. He even wanted a sit-down meeting to discuss the mechanics. I'm like, duh? We already had a meeting on this, and i just made some minor revisions.

To make the matters worse, those guys from that dept told their boss that I wasn't working with them on this project. Told my boss that I can't rely on them since they would cause me to run behind schedule... everybody knows it. I mean if they really wanted to help they could've initiated and not wait for us to tell them what to do. My God, we're like in our mid-20's in marketing and they're like...well, i dunno how old. But old enough I guess to know some work ethics and essentials and old enough not to be told what to do.

I actually see it as a challenge. And i admit, i should delegate more. I have this tendency to trust people less when it comes to a project that I'm heading...that i tend to do most of the job. My boss told me, I can't be the foot soldier and at the same time the captain of the ship. Kind of a wake up call for me.

I'm learning a lot about marketing, about people, about me. And I'm loving it! No matter how stressful it may become.

Sorry, just had to take out this shit out of me.

No comments: